Power BI Training Course Overview
Power BI is fast becoming the go-to application for businesses, small and large, to step-change their reporting capability. Power BI is sufficiently different from regular Excel that most people benefit from some live training from an expert. Some of the concepts are difficult to pick up via self-learning, however having an expert to show you how during a live training course can make this powerful new tool accessible to any Excel Pro. At the end of the 2 days you will be well on your way to becoming a Power BI ninja.
In this two-day training course, you will learn
- what you need to know to start using the Power BI suite of tools without you needing to be a programmer.
- how to build reports, create dashboards and share them.
- the more advanced concepts of data modelling using DAX (Data Analysis Expressions), the data modelling language of Power BI.
This targeted training course teaches you exactly what you need to know to get you on your personal BI journey. Matt has used his 30+ years of commercial, sales and IT experience plus his deep knowledge of the relevant technologies when designing this training to make it tangible, practical and usable when you get back to work.
The course comprises of 2 modules:
- Module 1 – Foundations of Power BI – Data to Dashboard (6.5 CPD hours)
- Module 2 – Extracting Data Insights with Power BI and DAX (6.5 CPD hours)
Power BI Training Course Content
The content in this course is as follows:
- Day 1 (Module 1: Foundations of Power BI – Data to Dashboard) focuses on teaching business users the principles on how to use Power BI. The topics covered are
- How to use Power BI Desktop.
- In depth coverage of building visuals and reports using Power BI Desktop.
- Creating dashboards using PowerBI.com.
- Sharing your reports with workspaces and apps using PowerBI.com.
- Introduction to Power Query including learning of several reusable patterns that cover common use cases for loading data.
- Day 2 (Module 2: Extracting Data Insights with Power BI and DAX) dives deeper into the more advanced concepts of data modelling for those users that want to build their own data models and analytics using their own data sources. The topics covered are
- Introduction to Data Modelling.
- Overview of the DAX language (Data Analysis Expressions).
- Common functions in the DAX language.
- How to write formulas that leverage multiple tables.
- The CALCULATE function – the most important function in DAX.
- Advanced concepts including table functions such as ALL, FILTER.
- Time Intelligence.
Download Course Brochure: Power BI For the Business Analyst Course Outline
The course can be taken as a comprehensive 2-day course, or as two separate one day training courses (see list of products in the shop).
Training Course Location
Training will likely be located at North Sydney Training Centre https://goo.gl/maps/4ut39MiYDNzETk988. Exact location will be confirmed with participants the week prior to the course and will depend on the number of participants.
Learning Support Materials
Video On Demand
All participants will receive access to a recorded version of the content available to view online after the training is completed. This will allow you to review any of the content from the 2 modules to refresh your learning (available for 12 months after the training is over).
All participants registered for the second module of the training will receive the paperback copy of the book “Supercharge Power BI” and also the digital editions of both “Supercharge Power BI” and “Supercharge Excel”. With these books you can continue your learning after the live training using the same familiar learning style covered in the course.
All participants will receive the certificate of completion at the end of the course.
Bulk discounts are available when you register and pay for 3 or more people at the same time.
- Register and pay for 3 – 5 people, get 10% discount on total amount.
- Register and pay for 6 – 15 people, get 15% discount on total amount.
- Register and pay for 16 – 25 people, get 20% discount on total amount.
Please Note: If you register on behalf of someone and/or register for more than one participant, please provide the names and email addresses of all the participants in the order notes.
Things you need to know
The training will commence at 9am and finish at 5pm each day. You will bring your own laptop with the latest version of Power BI Desktop installed – this will be confirmed in a logistics email the week prior to the course training date.
Cancellations will be accepted 7 business days prior to the course start date. After that time no refunds will be issued. If you are unable to attend for any reason at short notice (i.e. with less than 7 days’ notice), you can send a proxy to attend the course in your place with prior agreement.
The training course may be rescheduled or cancelled if insufficient registrations are received up until 7 days prior to the course date. In this event a suitable arrangement will be made to either refund the course fee in full or reschedule to another session at the choice of the student. The objective is always to make you happy.