Power BI is fast becoming the go-to application for businesses, small and large, to step-change their reporting capability. Power BI is sufficiently different from regular Excel that most people benefit from some live training from an expert. Some of the concepts are difficult to pick up via self-learning, however having an expert to show you how during a live training course can make this powerful new tool accessible to any Excel Pro. At the end of the 2 days you will be well on your way to becoming a Power BI, Power Pivot and Power Query ninja.
In this two-day training course, Matt Allington delivers exactly what you need to know to start using the Power BI suite of tools without you needing to be a programmer, and then explains the more advanced concepts of data modelling using DAX (Data Analysis Expressions), the data modelling language of Power BI. Matt delivers a targeted training course that teaches you exactly what you need to know to get you on your personal BI journey. Matt brings his 30+ years of commercial, sales and IT experience plus his deep knowledge of the relevant technologies to make this training tangible, practical and usable.
The content in this course is as follows:
- Day 1 (Data to Dashboard Using Power BI) focuses on teaching business users the principles on how to use Power BI, Power Pivot, and Power Query. The Topics covered are
- How to use Power BI Desktop.
- In depth coverage of building visuals and reports using Power BI Desktop.
- Creating dashboards using PowerBI.com.
- Sharing your reports with workspaces and apps using PowerBI.com.
- Introduction to Power Query including learning of several reusable patterns that cover common use cases for loading data.
- Day 2 (Data Modelling with Power BI and Power Pivot) dives deeper into the more advanced concepts of data modelling for those users that want to build their own data models and analytics using their own data sources. The topics covered are
- Overview of the DAX language (Data Analysis Expressions).
- Common functions in the DAX language.
- How to write formulas that leverage multiple tables.
- The CALCULATE function – the most important function in DAX.
- Advanced concepts including table functions such as ALL, FILTER.
- Time Intelligence.
Download Course Brochure: Power BI For the Business Analyst Course Outline
The course can be taken as a comprehensive 2-day course, or as two separate one day training courses (see list of products in the shop).
Training Course Location
Training will likely be located at Regus 127 Creek Street https://goo.gl/maps/Rr1zKLC2KpK2 . Exact location will be confirmed with participants the week prior to the course and will depend on the number of participants.
Bulk discounts are available when you register and pay for 3 or more people at the same time.
- Register and pay for 3 people, get 10% discount on total amount.
- Register and pay for 6 people, get 20% discount on total amount.
Please Note: If you register on behalf of someone and/or register for more than one participant, please provide the names and email addresses of all the participants in the order notes.
Things you need to know
The training will commence at 9am and finish at 5pm each day. You will bring your own* laptop with Power BI Desktop installed – this will be confirmed in a logistics email the week prior to the course training date.
*If you do not have a laptop, please contact Matt – there are a few loan laptops available (for free) if you are not able to bring one with you for any reason.
Each month Power BI gets better and better as a product and there is no longer enough time to cover Power Pivot for Excel in these live classes. But don’t worry – the skills you learn using Power BI Desktop are fully transferable to Power Pivot for Excel. All attendees of the live training course will receive a free video lesson explaining the differences with Power Pivot for Excel to help you make the transition to using Power Pivot for Excel.
Cancellations will be accepted 7 business days prior to the course start date. After that time no refunds will be issued. If you are unable to attend for any reason at short notice (i.e. with less than 7 days’ notice), you can send a proxy to attend the course in your place with prior agreement. The training course may be rescheduled or cancelled if insufficient registrations are received up until 7 days prior to the course date. In this event a suitable arrangement will be made to either refund the course fee in full or reschedule to another session at the choice of the student. The objective is always to make you happy.
All participants will receive the certificate of completion at the end of the course.
Participants registered for the 2nd day of training will receive a copy of the book “Supercharge Power BI”. If instead you would prefer a copy of “Supercharge Excel”, please indicate this when you place your order. With these books you can continue your learning after the live training using the same familiar learning style covered in the course.