The most important things to learn (and master) if you want to extract the full benefit from Power BI are the DAX language and data modelling. Without this knowledge, you are limited to analysing data that others have prepared for you, and/or being limited to simple calculations on single columns of data. Becoming competent with DAX and data modelling normally requires some focused learning, ideally from an expert like Matt Allington. Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the best best selling book Supercharge Power BI. Matt has been teaching DAX to anyone that wants to learn since 2015.
This live, online, instructor led training course focuses on teaching business/IT users the intermediate to advanced principles of data modelling using Power BI and the DAX language.
All participants will receive the certificate of completion at the end of the course.
Who Should Attend?
This is not a beginners’ course. This course is ideal for people who already have a base understanding of DAX and data modelling, and who have had 6-18 months experience using Power BI (and/or Power Pivot for Excel). If you have little or no formal learning in Power BI, you should consider attending one of my other online training courses first, either the live, instructor led course “Power BI for the Business Analyst” or the self paced course “Supercharge Power BI Online“. Then once you have 6-18 months experience, come back to this intermediate to advanced course to deepen your knowledge.
This live, instructor led, online training course enables you to move from the basics of DAX and data modelling to a level of competency that will give you the foundation for creating solutions for your current and future reporting needs. Before you can become proficient in the DAX language, you simply must understand how the Power BI/Power Pivot database engine works. This course will teach you what you need to know, including:
- The difference between a model based BI tool and other reporting based BI tools.
- An in depth review of relationship types and their behaviour.
- In depth coverage of evaluation contexts and context transition.
- The true role of the CALCULATE() function.
- Thinking differently about functions such as FILTER() so you can deeply understand how they work.
- Iterator functions vs aggregator functions e.g. SUM() vs SUMX(), how they work and when to use them.
- Virtual filter patterns (where you don’t need relationships at all).
- Custom time intelligence patterns.
- Writing complex formulas using the VAR syntax.
- Other DAX patterns to solve business problems.
Many people think they need advanced training, but the definition of intermediate and advanced depends on your perspective. Once you become competent in the concepts covered in this intermediate to advanced training, you will be able to incrementally learn further advanced concepts from there with this solid foundation.
Download Course Brochure: Demystifying DAX Intermediate to Advanced – Course Outline Online
At a minimum, participants should have experience writing DAX formulas and loading their own data into Power BI for ideally 6 – 18 months. It is not necessary to have an in depth knowledge of how the formulas work – that is what will be covered in the course. So if you have written formulas and sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t, and you don’t know why or which of the two you will get, then this is the course for you.
This course is a live, instructor led, online training course that primarily consists of lectures and live demos where you listen, ask questions and learn from an expert. There will be plenty of opportunity to participate and ask questions to clarify your understanding. Participants should still attend with
- a PC (laptop/desktop) running the latest version of Power BI Desktop so they can complete some practice exercises.
- a quite place to work (home office or suitable space at work)
- a good, solid broadband Internet connection
- an additional monitor to view the live streamed training content from the trainer leaving your PC for the exercises and your own note taking
- a headset of some type to listen to the live streamed content. You should not use your PC speakers as this can cause feedback when you want to ask a question of the trainer.
- ideally you will use a web cam at your end so the instructor can see you too – this will enhance the learning experience.
- The training will be streamed using Zoom video conferencing. Ideally you will launch the zoom client, but you can attend from within a browser if you can’t run the zoom client.
The registrants will receive a meeting invite specifying how to join the training.
The training will be held in Australian Eastern Standard Time timezone 9 AM – 12:30 PM (UTC +10) over 2 consecutive days (3.5 hours each day) and hence is suitable for anyone living in a country with a similar timezone (of course with slightly different start and finish times in that case).
Bulk discounts are available when you register and pay for 3 or more people at the same time.
- Register and pay for 3 people, get 10% discount on total amount.
- Register and pay for 6 people, get 20% discount on total amount.
Please Note: If you register on behalf of someone and/or register for more than one participant, please provide the names and email addresses of all the participants in the order notes.
Things you need to know
Cancellations will be accepted 7 business days prior to the course start date. After that time no refunds will be issued. If you are unable to attend for any reason at short notice (i.e. with less than 7 days’ notice), you can send a proxy to attend the course in your place with prior agreement or you can reschedule your attendance to a future course.
The training course may be rescheduled or cancelled if insufficient registrations are received up until 7 days prior to the course date. In this event a suitable arrangement will be made to either refund the course fee in full or reschedule to another session at the choice of the student. The objective is always to make you happy. We rarely cancel our courses.