Training Course Overview
Power BI is fast becoming the go-to application for businesses, small and large, to step-change their reporting capability. Power BI is sufficiently different from regular Excel that most people benefit from some live training from an expert. Some of the concepts are difficult to pick up via self-learning, however having an expert to show you how during a live training course can make this powerful new tool accessible to any Excel Pro. At the end of the training, you will be well on your way to becoming a Power BI ninja.
In this live, instructor led, online training course, you will learn
- what you need to know to start using the Power BI suite of tools without you needing to be a programmer.
- how to build reports, create dashboards and share them.
- the more advanced concepts of data modelling using DAX (Data Analysis Expressions), the data modelling language of Power BI.
This targeted training course teaches you exactly what you need to know to get you on your personal BI journey. Matt has used his 30+ years of commercial, sales and IT experience plus his deep knowledge of the relevant technologies when designing this training to make it tangible, practical and usable when you get back to work.
The course comprises of 2 modules:
- Module 1 – Data to Dashboard Using Power BI (6.5 CPD hours)
- Module 2 – Data Modelling and DAX with Power BI (6.5 CPD hours)
Most participants do both modules together unless they have no need for loading and working with data themselves (module 2).
Power BI Training Course Content
The content in this course is as follows:
- Module 1 (Data to Dashboard Using Power BI) focuses on teaching business users the principles on how to use Power BI. The topics covered are
- How to use Power BI Desktop.
- In depth coverage of building visuals and reports using Power BI Desktop.
- Creating dashboards using PowerBI.com.
- Sharing your reports with workspaces and apps using PowerBI.com.
- Introduction to Power Query including learning of several reusable patterns that cover common use cases for loading data.
- Module 2 (Data Modelling with Power BI) dives deeper into the more advanced concepts of data modelling for those users that want to build their own data models and analytics using their own data sources. The topics covered are
- Overview of the DAX language (Data Analysis Expressions).
- Common functions in the DAX language.
- How to write formulas that leverage multiple tables.
- The CALCULATE function – the most important function in DAX.
- Advanced concepts including table functions such as ALL, FILTER.
- Time Intelligence.
Download Course Brochure: Power BI For the Business Analyst Online Live Training Outline
The course can be taken as a complete, combined training course covering both modules, or as two separate training courses for each module (check out the shop if you prefer a single module).
Participants should have
- a PC (laptop/desktop) running the latest version of Power BI Desktop so they can complete some practice exercises.
- a quite place to work (home office or suitable space at work)
- a good, solid broadband Internet connection
- an additional monitor to view the live streamed training content from the trainer leaving your PC for the exercises
- a headset of some type to listen to the live streamed content. You should not use your PC speakers as this can cause feedback when you want to ask a question of the trainer.
- ideally you will use a web cam at your end so the instructor can see you too – this will enhance the learning experience.
- The training will be streamed using Zoom video conferencing. Ideally you will launch the zoom client, but you can attend from within a browser if you can’t run the zoom client.
The registrants will receive a meeting invite specifying how to join the training.
The training will be held in Australian Eastern Standard Time timezone 9 AM – 12:30 PM (UTC +10) over 4 consecutive days (3.5 hours each day) and hence is suitable for anyone living in a country with a similar timezone (of course with slightly different start and finish times in that case).
Learning Support Materials
Video On Demand
All participants will receive access to a recorded version of the content available to view online after the training is completed. This will allow you to review any of the content from the 2 modules to refresh your learning (available for 12 months after the training is over).
All participants registered for the second module of the training will receive the digital editions of both “Supercharge Power BI” and “Supercharge Excel”. With these books you can continue your learning after the live training using the same familiar learning style covered in the course. Participants with a shipping address in Australia or USA, will also receive paperback copies of both books.
All participants will receive the certificate of completion at the end of the course.
Bulk discounts are available when you register and pay for 3 or more people at the same time.
- Register and pay for 3 people, get 10% discount on total amount.
- Register and pay for 6 people, get 20% discount on total amount.
Please Note: If you register on behalf of someone and/or register for more than one participant, please provide the names and email addresses of all the participants in the order notes.
Things you need to know
The skills you learn using Power BI Desktop are fully transferable to Power Pivot for Excel. All attendees of the live, instructor led, online training course will receive a free video lesson explaining the differences with Power Pivot for Excel to help you make the transition to using Power Pivot for Excel.
Cancellations will be accepted 7 business days prior to the course start date. After that time no refunds will be issued. If you are unable to attend for any reason at short notice (i.e. with less than 7 days’ notice), you can send a proxy to attend the course in your place with prior agreement. The training course may be rescheduled or cancelled if insufficient registrations are received up until 7 days prior to the course date. In this event a suitable arrangement will be made to either refund the course fee in full or reschedule to another session at the choice of the student. The objective is always to make you happy.