Power BI is better when you learn to write DAX. This online training course is a combination of self-paced remote learning using the book “Learn to Write DAX“, weekly video based training with examples and demos to support the more complex topics in the book, and weekly live screen sharing Q&A sessions with Matt Allington. The week before the course begins, there will be a kickoff video and a brief Q&A webinar. This course will teach you how to use Power Pivot for Excel and/or Power BI Desktop.
This training course has been specifically designed to provide the following benefits.
- The training is run in semesters so that you can be part of a class of people that are all learning together.
- You get to learn incrementally over a 5 week period in your own time. Just find 20-30 minutes per day.
- There is a weekly video where Matt Allington explains the concepts that are harder to learn yourself.
- You read the chapters assigned for each week, do the exercises in those chapters and then watch the video to summarise the week.
- You can watch these at any time in the week that suits you.
- You get direct access to me (Matt Allington) to ask for clarification on topics you might be unsure about during the weekly Q&A session. You can ask any questions you have at these sessions.
- You can choose the appropriate session times for the weekly Q&A sessions that suit your time zone.
- You will have access to the online course material (videos) for 12 months, so if you want to come back and watch them again then that is fine. Also, you will receive the Q&A session recording through email and you can keep a copy for future reference.
- The cost is very affordable compared with a comparable live training course (about 80% cheaper)
Suitable Q&A Time Zones for Every Country
There are multiple semesters running in parallel that cater for all time zones where ever you are in the world. If you are an early bird or a night owl, feel free to book into any of the semesters that suit your needs.
How it Works
You will get a DRM free eBook copy of the book “Learn to Write DAX” included in the purchase price for this training. If you prefer a paperback, you can refer to my book page here to find a suitable place to purchase the physical book (some people just like a real book).
The course is spread across 5 weeks. Each week, you need to
- study the chapters prescribed for the week
- complete the exercises in the relevant chapters for the week
- watch the video summary for the week to cement your learning
- attend the weekly Q&A seminar and bring along any questions you have ready to ask for clarification.
The examples and exercises in the book are based on the Adventure Works Access database that you can download for practice as you proceed with the chapters.
The course will follow the chapters in my book as outlined below.
Course Coverage: Kickoff Week
Video Session: Course Overview, Tips for Watching Videos
|None! This week is just to get to know each other and look over what we'll be covering during the next 5 weeks.|
Course Coverage: Week 1
Video Session: Loading Data, Power BI Desktop, Basic measures
|Chapter 1||Concept: Pivot Tables vs. Power Pivot|
|Chapter 19||Moving from Excel to Power BI|
|Chapter 2||Concept: Loading Data|
|Chapter 3||Concept: Calculated Fields/Measures|
|Chapter 4||DAX Topic: SUM(); COUNT(); COUNTROWS(); MIN(); MAX(); COUNTBLANK(); DIVIDE()|
Course Coverage: Week 2
Video Session: CALCULATE() explained, Filter Propagation, Iterators revisited
|Chapter 5||Concept: Filter Propagation|
|Chapter 6||DAX Topic: The Basic Iterators SUMX() and AVERAGEX()|
|Chapter 7||DAX Topic: Calculated Columns|
|Chapter 8||DAX Topic: CALCULATE()|
Course Coverage: Week 3
Video Session: SWITCH, VALUES, ALL, Evaluation Context and Context Transition
|Chapter 9||Concept: Evaluation Context and Context Transition|
|Chapter 10||DAX Topic: IF(); SWITCH(); FIND()|
|Chapter 11||DAX Topic: VALUES();HASONEVALUE()|
|Chapter 12||DAX Topic: ALL(); ALLEXCEPT(); ALLSELECTED()|
|Chapter 13||DAX Topic: FILTER()|
Course Coverage: Week 4
Video Session: Time Intelligence, Custom Time Intelligence Explained
|Chapter 14||DAX Topic: Time Intelligence|
|Chapter 15||DAX Topic: RELATED() and RELATEDTABLE()|
|Chapter 16||Concept: Disconnected Tables|
Course Coverage: Week 5
Video Session: Writing Cube Formulas from scratch, Final questions, Next steps
|Chapter 17||Concept: KPIs and Multiple Data Tables|
|Chapter 18||Concept: Cube Formulas|
|Chapter 20||Next Steps on Your DAX Journey|
Ready to Purchase?
This is a semester-based training course. You need to select a semester that suits your location (time zone) and availability over the 5 weeks of the training course. There will be new semesters that become available throughout the year at different times.
You can see a list of all currently available semesters here.
The price of the course is US$250 (AU$329).
Buy this and Power Query for Excel and Power BI Online Training at the same time and automatically get 10% off the price of those products!