Power BI is better when you learn to write DAX
Power BI online training course: With the right Power BI online training course anyone can learn to use Power BI. But if you want to Supercharge Power BI, you really need to learn the DAX (Data Analysis Expressions) language. This is a high quality Online Power BI training course that will teach you how to get the most from this tool. Participants of this hands-on Power BI online training program will soon realise there is so much more you can do with Power BI once you learn to write DAX. Anyone that uses Excel can learn the DAX language, but it can be mysteriously confusing to first time Power BI users. I can help you with that.
This Power BI online training course is a combination of:
- Self-paced remote learning using one of my books – Supercharge Power BI or Supercharge Excel. (3 hours per week for 5 weeks – 15 CPD hours)
- Weekly video based training with examples and demos to support the complex topics in the book. (1 hour per week for 5 weeks – 5 CPD hours)
- Weekly live screen sharing Q&A sessions with me, Matt Allington. (1 hour per week for 5 weeks – 5 CPD hours)
Total CPD hours = 15+5+5 = 25 hours.
This online Power BI training course will teach you how to use the data modelling capabilities in Power BI Desktop and Power Pivot for Excel.
All participants will receive the certificate of completion at the end of the course.
Power BI online training – Kick Off for Next Semester
The next semester for Supercharge Power BI Online Training starts on Monday 30th July (Group 2, Australian/Oceania Time Zones) and Tuesday 31st July (Group 1, USA and Euro Time Zones). Click here to find out more and register.
Which Book is Right for You?
|Supercharge Power BI||Supercharge Excel|
|Learn using Power BI Desktop||Learn using Power Pivot for Excel|
You have a choice of which book to use for your learning. If you primarily want to use Power Pivot for Excel, you can learn using my first book Supercharge Excel: When You Learn to Write DAX for Power Pivot. If on the other hand you are planning on using Power BI, I recommend you use my new book Supercharge Power BI: Power BI is better when you learn to write DAX. They both cover the same content and the skills are transferable between Power BI and Excel. Participants in this Power BI online training course will be given an eBook copy of both books, and you can choose to read which ever version you prefer to participate in the training.
Benefits of Learning Power BI Online, From a Pro
This Power BI online training course has been specifically designed to provide the following benefits.
- The training is run in semesters so that you can be part of a class of people that are all learning together.
- You get to learn incrementally over a 5 week period in your own time. Just find a couple of hours each week to complete the learning.
- There is a weekly video where Matt Allington explains the concepts that are harder to learn yourself (around 40 mins each week).
- The weekly learning cycle is, read the chapters assigned, do the exercises, watch the summary video and then attend the weekly live Q&A session.
- You can choose the appropriate session times for the weekly Q&A sessions that suit your time zone.
- You will have access to the online course material (videos) for 36 months, so if you want to come back and watch them again then that is fine. Also, you will receive the Q&A session recording through email and you can keep a copy for future reference.
- The cost of this Power BI training program is very affordable compared with a comparable live training course (about 80% cheaper).
Suitable Q&A Time Zones for Every Country
There are normally multiple time zone sessions running in parallel that cater for where ever you are in the world. If you are an early bird or a night owl, feel free to book into any of the semesters that suit your needs.
How it Works
You will get a DRM free eBook copy of the books Supercharge Excel and Supercharge Power BI included in the purchase price for this training. If you prefer a paperback, you can refer to my book pages here for Supercharge Excel or here for Supercharge Power BI, to find a suitable place to purchase the physical book (some people just like a real book).
This intuitive Power BI online course is spread across 5 weeks. Each week, you need to
- study the chapters prescribed for the week
- complete the exercises in the relevant chapters for the week
- watch the video summary for the week to cement your learning
- attend the weekly Q&A seminar and bring along any questions you have ready to ask for clarification.
The examples and exercises in the book are based on the Adventure Works Access database that you can download for practice as you proceed with the chapters.
The course will follow the chapters in my books (Supercharge Power BI and Supercharge Excel) as outlined below.
If you want to learn using Power BI Desktop, follow the book Supercharge Power BI, and if you want to learn using Excel, follow the book Supercharge Excel. Either way you will learn the same concepts that you can use both in Excel and Power BI Desktop. The only difference is in the User Interface and to help you to switch from one to other, a chapter is devoted for the purpose.
Course Coverage: Kickoff Week
Video Session: Course Overview, Tips for Watching Videos
|None! This week is just to get to know each other and look over what we'll be covering during the next 5 weeks.|
Course Coverage: Week 1
Video Session: Loading Data, Basic Measures, Power BI Desktop
|Topics Covered in Week 1||Supercharge Power BI Chapter||Supercharge Excel Chapter|
|Concept: Introduction to Data Modelling||Chapter 1||Chapter 1|
|Concept: Loading Data||Chapter 2||Chapter 2|
|Concept: Measures||Chapter 3||Chapter 3|
|DAX Topic: SUM(); COUNT(); COUNTROWS(); MIN(); MAX(); COUNTBLANK() and DIVIDE()||Chapter 4||Chapter 4|
Course Coverage: Week 2
Video Session: Filter Propagation, Evaluation Contexts, Iterating functions, CALCULATE() explained
|Topics Covered in Week 2||Supercharge Power BI Chapter||Supercharge Excel Chapter|
|Concept: Filter Propagation||Chapter 5||Chapter 5|
|Concept: Lookup Tables and Data Tables||Chapter 6||Chapter 6|
|DAX Topic: The Basic Iterators SUMX() and AVERAGEX()||Chapter 7||Chapter 7|
|DAX Topic: Calculated Columns||Chapter 8||Chapter 8|
|DAX Topic: CALCULATE()||Chapter 9||Chapter 9|
Course Coverage: Week 3
Video Session: SWITCH, VALUES, ALL, Evaluation Context and Context Transition
|Topics Covered in Week 3||Supercharge Power BI Chapter||Supercharge Excel Chapter|
|Concept: Evaluation Context and Context Transition||Chapter 10||Chapter 10|
|DAX Topic: IF(); SWITCH() and FIND()||Chapter 11||Chapter 11|
|DAX Topic: VALUES(); HASONEVALUE()||Chapter 12||Chapter 12|
|DAX Topic: ALL(); ALLEXCEPT() and ALLSELECTED()||Chapter 13||Chapter 13|
Course Coverage: Week 4
Video Session: FILTER(), Time Intelligence, Custom Time Intelligence Explained
|Topics Covered in Week 4||Supercharge Power BI Chapter||Supercharge Excel Chapter|
|DAX Topic: FILTER()||Chapter 14||Chapter 14|
|DAX Topic: Time Intelligence||Chapter 15||Chapter 15|
|DAX Topic: RELATED() and RELATEDTABLE()||Chapter 16||Chapter 16|
|Concept: Disconnected Tables||Chapter 17||Chapter 17|
Course Coverage: Week 5
Video Session: Multiple Data Tables, Writing Cube Formulas from scratch, Final questions, Next steps
|Topics Covered in Week 5||Supercharge Power BI Chapter||Supercharge Excel Chapter|
|Concept: KPIs||Chapter 18|
|Concept: Multiple Data Tables||Chapter 18||Chapter 19|
|Concept: Using Analyze in Excel and Cube Formulas||Chapter 19||Chapter 20|
|Transferring Your Skills to Excel||Chapter 20|
|Moving from Excel to Power BI||Chapter 21|
|Next Steps on Your DAX Journey||Chapter 21||Chapter 22|
Ready to Purchase?
This is a semester-based Power BI online training course. You need to select a semester that suits your location (time zone) and availability over the 5 weeks of the training course. There will be new semesters that become available throughout the year at different times.
You can see a list of all currently available semesters here.
The price of the course is US$250 (AU$329).
Buy this and Power Query for Excel and Power BI Online Training at the same time and automatically get 10% off the price of these products!