Edit: 27th Nov 2019. Note applications for this job are now closed.
It is 5.5 years since I left my 25 year corporate role at Coca-Cola and started my own business training and supporting the Microsoft self-service BI tools (Power BI, Power Query and Power Pivot for Excel). Since starting my own business, I have mastered the tools, designed my own training content that leverages my experience and expertise, and taught thousands of people how to get value from Power BI. In addition to my training services, I have supported and continue to provide remote consulting assistance to many customers all around the world. For most of the last five years I have thought that I would be a one man team, but I have come to the point now where I realise l can no longer handle all the work and opportunities on my own – I need help.
Are You The One?
I am planning to hire a suitably skilled individual to help me with the increasing demand for my training and consulting services. But one thing I have learnt in life is that not all trainers/consultants are created equally. Indeed, a big part of my success in my career has been my mix of skills, knowledge and experience in delivering high-quality training content.
I am seeking to hire a dynamic and engaging individual who can deliver my content in a way that will thrill my customers in the same way as when I am presenting myself. The person I am looking for therefore will need to be a great communicator, good at public speaking, and also have a good knowledge of DAX. And strange as it may sound, I am more interested in hiring someone with the suitable training skills rather than the depth of DAX skills. I can teach you what you need to know about the DAX language, and how to train the harder DAX concepts, but training skills tend to come naturally to the individual, or not.
Below is a list of the core competencies that I’m looking for in a successful applicant.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Listening skills including verbal language and body language.
- Clear articulation and explanation of concepts.
- Clear and concise written communication skills.
- A proven record of being able to train others in a classroom environment, or equivalent demonstration of that ability to me.
- Good knowledge of Power BI, Power Query and DAX. As mentioned above you don’t have to be an expert in everything across the Power BI stack, but I am looking for solid coverage and demonstrated ability to learn quickly.
- Honesty and integrity
- Motivated self starter that can work unsupervised
The job responsibilities broadly include the following:
- Delivery of live training classes – normally 1-3 days per week.
- Delivery of casual consulting services to customers as required.
- Help in the preparation of training content.
- Development of video training content.
- Delivery of online training content to live audiences from time to time.
- Be a contributor to my online blog.
- Any other tasks needed to help me grow my business.
As an added bonus, anyone that has some sales experience in follow-up business prospects would be highly regarded.
I prefer a full time employee, but I would consider someone on a part time basis if they were the right person for the job.
The remuneration will depend on the skills, knowledge, and experience of the successful applicant.
The home location is negotiable. The preference would be Sydney or Melbourne, however I would consider Brisbane for the right candidate. The job will require a reasonable amount of domestic travel 1 – 2 times per month for a few nights each time.
I am open to talking to people with a lot of experience or someone who is just starting out and can demonstrate excellent potential to grow and develop quickly. If this sounds like you, please contact me directly via my website contact page. Please include a link to your CV and let me know why you believe you are the right person for this job. Please do not add comments below as an application.